Psyche [sai-kee]
Origin: Ancient Greek ψυχή "psyche": breath; derivative of ψύχω "psychein": to breathe.
▸ noun: the actuating cause of an individual life; that which is responsible for one's thoughts, feelings and behavior; soul
Couturière [koo-toor-yer]
Origin: Old French "cousture": seam, from Latin "consuere": to stitch together; fashion designing, dressmaking
▸ noun: A woman engaged in couture.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

On Being Fast!

“I oughta’ kick your ass” Leaning wayyyy into my (previously) sacred personal space, while looking at me dead in the eye, she followed up with “You’re faster than me!!”
Considering this slightly larger black woman, a woman unmistakably addressing in no uncertain terms me, a rather small white woman with a startled (and totally unexpected) stereotypical reaction…, I had a fleeting feeling I was in for a stomping of my life. And to boot, this person and her shopping buddy had eyed me up and down since I entered the store.  As I really didn’t know what had occasioned this, I felt like yelling, “I didn’t do it!”

The consternation and anxiety instantly turned into relief when she didn't hit me, and I realized I had just received a compliment. I started to laugh, somewhat hysterically (just imagine), from the relief which swept over me. The very next day after starting this blog, God had sent me a sign. Hurray!
When I first got clean and sober I was an atheist. At my very first meeting, my self appointed sponsor told me to go home and pray. I said I don’t believe in God, she said “That’s fine. I want you to tell Him that.” I felt instant peace, not only did the response feel “perfect”, it felt like a sign…  She taught me to talk directly to God and later, to ask for signs and for confirmation that the signs are real.

Back to the thrift store, God knows how much I love surprises, how I love different cultures, and how much I love …thrift stores (which my sponsor re-introduced me to!!) And, (un)abashedly, compliments.

When I was first in recovery, feeling depressed and unloved (more on that later so stay tuned to this channel) and was seeking confirmation of my choices and my path, I had numerous signs from God. In my magical thinking I was able to tie seemingly random events to the positive direction I had/have chosen. It seems if you aren’t tuned in to the right radio station, you can’t pick up the program.

1 comment:

  1. what did you get? I mean what did you steal from her? hey, next time whip out your camera and ask to take her pic. tell her how famous you are!

    ReplyDelete