Psyche [sai-kee]
Origin: Ancient Greek ψυχή "psyche": breath; derivative of ψύχω "psychein": to breathe.
▸ noun: the actuating cause of an individual life; that which is responsible for one's thoughts, feelings and behavior; soul
Couturière [koo-toor-yer]
Origin: Old French "cousture": seam, from Latin "consuere": to stitch together; fashion designing, dressmaking
▸ noun: A woman engaged in couture.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Go Faster Pantyhose

I have a great sequel to my previous blog, the “faster” experience at the thrift store. After I got over my compliment, my admirer/buddy/sign and I were chatting about all sorts of things, and ended up talking about one of my favorite subjects-tights and hose, especially decorated ones. She told me she had a pair of hose with, get this, TIGERS going up the side.

For those not in the know, that’s not at all common even for patterned
hose. She mentioned she was going to give them to a friend. I said,
“Girl, you should bring them here so I can buy them.” With a warm chuckle, we parted company.

Later that evening, the encounter made me reminisce. Back in the day, I must not have been a very good atheist. I started “losing my religion” right about the time I
started to see everything as negative. People, things and events all bummed me out. I saw everyone as being out for themselves. I saw events as rip-offs and garbage, and everything that happened to me was a punishment.

These perspectives became more grim as I migrated from my apprenticeship as substance and alcohol abuser, a twenty something girl resident in a Hell crammed full of street drugs, anonymous sex and other young addicts succumbing to their disease, to Master drug addict. There is so much mental and physical effort needed to maintain an addiction, you can’t see that the addiction is the cause of guilt and
self-loathing.

The physiological aspect of the illness supplies heroic motivation, i.e. the “need” to compulsively medicate, spiraling into shame, more “need” to medicate, and so we get the serpent eating it’s tail!

The almost impenetrable denial fortress is maintained with excuses and a never, ever ending supply of lies. That’s when many of us became atheists. Addiction seemed like such an important part of my identity. It’s what made me “cool” and who I was.

So what does tiger panty hose have to do with this?

I was soooo blown away when, the next week, I was standing in the same spot we had been talking, and there in front of me was, you guessed it, hose with tigers!!! One pair.
Maybe not THE hose, but how likely is it that this style is going to show up right in front of me a mere week after my experience??
I take it to mean God has again shown me that I’m on the right track (there are no coincidences, only miracles were God chooses to remain anonymous), and that good things and good people are everywhere!
(Re-enactment photos taken at the Lily's Cloak thrift store, operated by the Lilburn Cooperative Ministry, 5329 Five Forks Trickum Rd SW., Lilburn, GA 30047 ph (770) 931-8333 website: www.lilburncoop.org)

1 comment:

  1. i thought of you today - I saw this girl in a cute flirty minskirt with patterned tights. So bold! I would never! but you could pull it off.

    ReplyDelete